eTA – Electronic Travel Authorization for Canada
eTA is a document that enable people to enter Canada for tourism or business purposes
Some countries that have a good relationship with Canada do not require a visa in order to enter the country. However, these people need to obtain some sort of document to show that they are approved and admissible to Canada. This document is called Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).
In the following article, we will go in the details about this document and share some relevant information about it.
What is Canada eTA?
This type of document is designed for people from countries that do not require a visa in order to enter the country. Obtaining this document will allow you to board a flight or any other transport and authorize you to enter Canada without a visa. It serves the same purpose as the Visitor Visa.
By possessing eTA, you will be allowed to enter Canada and visit friends or family, or just travel around. However, your stay in the country is temporary, and you must leave the country in 6 months or less. This document will not allow you to apply for Canadian citizenship or stay there permanently. You are also not allowed to obtain any Canadian documents that will give you the privilege to use any health benefits or any other kind.
The eTA is a much more simple process than the visa and it requires fewer documents in order to get it. If you possess eTA you cannot get any type of visa but only for traveling in Canada. If you like to work, study or stay there permanently you will be required to obtain a Canadian visa.
Which countries can get a Canadian eTA?
The following countries that don’t need a visa, however, they must have eTA in order to enter Canada by air:
- British citizen
- British National (Overseas)
- British overseas citizen (re-admissible to the United Kingdom)
- British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of:
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
- Pitcairn Island
- Saint Helena
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- British Subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom
- Brunei Darussalam
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR.
- Israel, must have a national Israeli passport
- Republic of Korea
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Romania (electronic passport holders only)
- San Marino
- Solomon Islands
- Taiwan, must have an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number
- United Arab Emirates
- United States, lawful permanent resident of
- Vatican City State, must have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican.
If you want to enter Canada by land or sea, you must check with the Canadian Consulate to know what you need to obtain an eTA or visa. The Canadian Government has different rules about the means of travel as well as the country you are from.
What are the requirements for the eTA Canada?
If you want to be able to get eTA in Canada, you must match a few criteria, such as:
- You must be at least 18 years old and if you are less than 18 years old, a guardian or parent must apply on your behalf
- You must be one of the countries specified above
- You must have a clear criminal record, not convicted in any crimes
- You must be financially stable to cover the cost of your stay in Canada
- You must possess a valid passport issued from your government
- You must have intentions for returning to your home country as well as strong ties to your home country
- You must not intend to study or work in Canada
- You must be without any dangerous medical problems which might require medical treatment in Canada that you cannot afford. If you will be seeking medical treatment in Canada, you must prove that you have sufficient funds to cover the costs of your treatment.
How to complete a Canada eTA application?
If you want to apply for the eTA, you must fulfill some necessary requirements as well as meet some criteria. The application process is very straightforward, and you will only need these documents:
- A valid passport issued by one of the countries mentioned above
- A debit, prepaid card, or credit card issued by
- Visa, Mastercard, American Express
- A valid e-mail address
- Union Pay
- JCB Card
If you have these documents in the possession, that you will be eligible to obtain eTA and you can start your application process by going to this link. This is the one and only website in possession of the Government of Canada where you can apply for an eTA. Be advised that you should apply only on this website and do not follow any other information on other websites that might be trying to deceive you.
When you go to this link, you will be required to put the following information in order to start the process:
- Information whether you are applying for yourself or someone else
- If you want to apply for someone else, you must put their personal information
- The travel document which you are applying for the eTA and details on it such as
- The number of that document (passport number)
- Country that has issued it
- Date when it was issued and date of expiry
- Other personal information such as
- Your first name and last name
- Date of Birth
- Marital status
- Employment information
- Information about any previous visits in Canada or if you have ever had a visa
- Contact information (e-mail address)
- Residential address
- Travel information such as
- Flight number (if you have already booked your travel)
- Dates of travel to Canada
- Background questions such as
- Medical history
- Criminal history
- Previously refused applications for a visa in Canada
- Consent and declaration (date and signature)
You must make sure that you put the correct information in the fields and pay attention to the passport number and information. It is important to know that if you put the wrong information in the application, you will not be able to board your flight even if your eTA is approved. You will be forced to start the application again as well as pay the necessary fees and wait for processing.
What is the eTA for Canada Fees?
Once you successfully submitted your application alongside all the necessary information, you will be redirected to a site to make your payment for the eTA. Before you finalize the process you must pay for eTA CAD$7 in order to complete the process. Your application will not be processed from the Canadian Consulate if you deny paying the required fee.
Once you finish the process of paying the fee, you will receive an email confirmation that your application was received and is processed.
How long is the eTA processing time?
The processing time for eTA is very short, as the eTA is one of the fastest documents to obtain. In some cases, you will get confirmation of your eTA immediately after you submit the application. You will receive an email that you were approved for the eTA.
However, sometimes the processing time for this document can take a few days, but it cannot go past 1 week. You will get an email notification that your application is approved and you can start your travel arrangements for Canada.
When you travel to Canada, you will only be required to bring your passport and no other document. Your passport now has the eTA document electronically and when the officials scan it, they will see if you are approved or not. That is why you must submit correct information in your application. Be aware that if your passport information does not match the eTA, you will not be allowed to enter Canada.
How long is the eTA valid?
The eTA does not provide you with a privilege to permanently stay in Canada. By obtaining this type of document you will be allowed to stay in the country for 6 months or less. However, the eTA lasts longer than that. This document once obtained can last up to 5 years or until the passport expires. This means that you can travel in and out of the country many times, but your stay in Canada must be limited to 6 months.
If you apply for a new passport, it is important to know that the eTA cannot be transferred to the new one, so you will have to apply again.
Can I bring my dependents with me to Canada with an eTA?
As the eTA is attached directly to the passport of the person, it cannot be used for multiple people. eTA visa Canada is an individual travel document, that is why each member of your family must obtain their own eTA.
Your spouse or common-law partner must apply and obtain their own eTA document in order to travel to Canada; as for the children, one of the parents or guardians can apply for them. The application process remains the same for everyone as well as the application fee.